A few months ago we announced the top 12 do-it-yourself (DIY) home improvements for people selling their home.
With the environment and sustainability in the hearts and minds of many Americans, HomeGain has also surveyed Realtors for the top 9 GREEN DIY home improvements. Nearly 1,000 REALTORS® responded to the survey.
While the results show that green home improvement projects may not be as popular as traditional non-green improvements (percentage of Realtors who recommend them), the GREEN trend does seem to be catching on as people realize the benefits. (See Realtor comments below.)
According to a McGraw Hill study, 70% of homebuyers would rather buy a green home than a non-green home in a down economy. The Management Information Services/ICMA has said that “landscaping, especially with trees, can increase property values as much as 20 percent.” According to Move.com, to date, around 1,100 Realtors have earned the NAR Green Designation (out of 1.3 million registered Realtors in the U.S.).
Based on national average cost and return on investment (ROI) to sellers…
The top 5 GREEN home improvements that Realtors recommend to home sellers are:
- Plant native trees and plants ($141 average cost / $399 average price increase / 284% average ROI / 65% of agents recommended)
- Replace air filters ($76 cost / $201 price increase / 266% ROI / 63% recommended)
- GREEN home staging ($223 cost / $445 price increase / 199% ROI / 47% recommended)
- Weather strip and caulk doors and windows ($169 cost / $313 price increase / 185% ROI / 68% recommended)
- Install programmable thermostats ($146 cost / $249 price increase / 170% ROI / 62% recommended)
The complete 9 GREEN home improvements are as follows: