This is a pretty common question this time of year. I think the answer depends on your personal situation. I met with two homeowners within the last week that want to list their homes and both couples asked this same question.
My advice was that there is no reason to wait because it was not going to disrupt either of their holidays.
If either of them were having visitors for the holidays or was a large family with kids running around the house all day I probably would have advised them to wait.
Here are 5 reasons to list your home during the holiday season:
1. This time of year many Realtors are taking time off or advising their sellers to wait until January to put their home up for sale. That means fewer listings are coming on the market. Wouldn’t you rather be 1 of say 10 new listings versus 1of 40? Your listing will be noticed more to those who are actively looking. There are always buyers on the sidelines waiting for new listings. Many of them receive new listings daily via email. Listing your home during the holidays might mean that you stand out more amongst all of the other new listings.
2. If a home buyer is looking during the holidays there is a strong chance that they are motivated to purchase.
3. The first time home-buyer tax credit has been extended. This might have created a sense of urgency and motivation for some to buy.
4. There are usually people in town visiting their families who may be the perfect buyer for your home.
5. Your home may show better during the holidays. Most homes look better with holiday decorations like a Christmas tree, lights, garland and wreath.
Whether you decide to list your home during the holidays or wait remember that if your home is in a desirable location, priced competitively amongst competitors and in good condition there really is not a bad time to list. There are always buyers looking for good homes that are priced well.